Established to provide a holistic environment for children with physical disabilities
The Hope Home was first established in 1916 when mining magnate, Raymond Schumacher, placed his home on Westcliffe Ridge in trust for the purpose of housing disabled children. Hope Home was named after his wife, Hope, which epitomizes everything the Home stands for, with an overarching focus on improving the quality of the lives of physically disabled children.
Later in 1929 the Hope School was established by the Department of Education on the Hope Home premises to provide a holistic environment for children with physical disabilities.
Hope School works to address the needs of these remarkable children, helping them grow in confidence, gain a measure of independence and reach their full potential.